[R] as.matrix and one row

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Mar 28 18:51:19 CEST 2006

Federico Calboli <f.calboli at imperial.ac.uk> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I have the following problem:
>
> x = c(1,2)
> [1] 1 2
>
> as.matrix(x)
>      [,1]
> [1,]    1
> [2,]    2
>
> BUT, if I add:
>
> y = c(3,4)
>
> as.matrix(rbind(x,y))
>   [,1] [,2]
> x    1    2
> y    3    4
>
> It does not transpose. Since I will need as.matrix() for a list of data
> that is in one or more lines, I need as.matrix to behave in a consisten
> fashions, so I get

Well, it's a NOP since the argument is a matrix already. R is not
"transposing" in the first case either, since the argument is not a
matrix. However, the convention is that vectors are treated as column
vectors, even though they print horisontally.

rbind(x) should get you to where you want soon enough.