[R] Cross correlation in time series

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Tue Mar 28 17:56:01 CEST 2006

	  Could you please clarify your data:  Do you have CO2 levels in an
ecosystem over time, from which you have computed (a) time rate of
change in CO2 and (b) deviation of CO2 levels from some theoretical
balance?  If yes, is this "balance" constant or varying, and if varying,
are the variations driven by factors not otherwise obviously contained
in the CO2 levels themselves?  I ask, because it sounds to me like you
may only actually have two different transformations of one series, and
the analysis would be different between the two.

	  Also, are your observations all at regular intervals?  If yes, what
percent of the observations are missing?  If you have two series, not
just one, are they sampled at the same times or at different times?

	  Regarding "ccf", this computes and plots the correlation between X[t]
and Y[t-j] for different values of j.

	  For a brief introduction to time series analysis especially in R, I
recommend the following:

	  1.  Ch. 14 in Venables and Ripley (2002) Modern Applied Statistics
with S, 4th ed. (Springer)

	  2.  The vignettes dse1, dse2, and zoo available with those packages.

	  hope this helps,
	  spencer graves