[R] RGui: windows-record and command history

Paul Murrell p.murrell at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Mar 24 02:17:48 CET 2006

Hi

Peter Ehlers wrote:

> Paul Murrell wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>

>> Duncan Murdoch wrote:

>>> Sure, it's a regular R object. You will need to read the source to
>>> know how to interpret it, and since it's undocumented there's a risk
>>> of changes in future R versions, but it's not very complicated.  See
>>> my message to Peter.
>>

>> Be careful with this.  The objects that are recorded on the display
>> list are calls to graphics functions PLUS state information in a raw
>> binary format.  The display list was originally intended for reuse
>> within the same R session (for redrawing the screen).  If you try to
>> save it and use it between sessions or (worse) between versions of R
>> you could run into some nasty problems.  For example, what if the
>> graphics function interface has changed?  what if the raw binary state
>> information format has changed?  what if the required packages are not
>> installed?   At best, your saved object produces errors;  at worst it
>> becomes completely useless and is unrecoverable.
>>
>> Paul
>

> Paul,
> If I read your comments correctly, the problem with manipulating the
> graph history is with saved histories across sessions/versions. Is
> there any reason not to manipulate it *within* a session? I never
> save plots for re-use in R. Re-running code is usually best for me.
> But I would find it handy to fiddle with the display list in a
> session.

That is *one* problem with the display list.  Messing directly with the
display list *within a session* is *less* dangerous, but R's behaviour
if you do that is "undefined".

The display list is technically an internal structure for R's internal
use.  We can't stop you playing with it, but I do not encourage it and
it is not officially supported.

There are a number of simple things that you could do to the display
list that should work, but providing proper support for general
manipulations of the display list would require a significant amount of
(re)design of the R graphics code.

Paul

p.s.  These comments apply to the display list in R's "graphics engine".
  The 'grid' package also maintains a display list, and that has been
designed to support more general manipulations.
--
Dr Paul Murrell
Department of Statistics
paul at stat.auckland.ac.nz