[R] Time-Series, multiple measurements, ANOVA model over time points, analysis advice

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Thu Mar 23 18:10:36 CET 2006

	  If this were my problem, I might start by considering each
stimulus-response pair as a one observation, and I'd break the MEG into
separate time series, each starting roughly 1 second before the stimulus
and ending roughly 1 second after.  If you've averaged many of these,
I'm guessing you must have done something like this already.  From plots
of the averages plus from autocorrelation and partial autocorrelation
functions of the individual series, I'd then try to develop a
parsimoneous model for the changes.  By fitting this model to each
response, I could hopefully condense the data from a few thousand
observations in each series to a small number of parameters.  Then you
could try to model the differences in the estimated parameters.

	  Are you familiar with Pinheiro and Bates (2000) Mixed-Effects Models
in S and S-Plus (Springer)?  This book and the companion nlme package
has facilities for handling the kinds of models you describe.  However,
I doubt if the software will handle the volume of data you have.  You
may have to condence the data, e.g., by averaging sequences of roughly
100 observations each, matched somehow to the stimulus and response
events, etc.

	  hope this helps.
	  spencer graves