[R] build R on windows

Jennifer Lai lai at lindaspaces.com
Wed Mar 22 00:14:33 CET 2006

Hi,
    I'm not sure if this question has been answered before, but when I
execute command  "Rcmd INSTALL --build nws" to build an R package on
Windows,
the build process got stucked on the save image step.

Here is the snapshot of the build process,
--- Making package nws ----
   adding build stamp to DESCRIPTION
   installing NAMESPACE file and metadata
   installing R files
   save images

The build process never returns unless I Ctrl-C out of it.

I also tried with removing SaveImage option from the DESCRIPTION file.
This time, the build process got stucked at lazy loading step.
I then set LazyLoad option to no in the DESCRIPTION file, this allows
the build process to generate a zip file. However, when I load the
library in R command console
by typing "library(nws)", the command just hung trying to load the library.

Here is the content of the description file,
Package: nws
Title: R functions for NetWorkSpaces and Sleigh
Version: 1.3.0
License:  GPL Version 2 or later
Depends: R (>=2.1), methods
SaveImage: true

Is there any subtlety between building R packages in Linux and Windows?
I can build and load this package under Linux. But can't figure out
what's causing the hang on Windows and how to debug the problem.  Has
anyone ran into similar problem before, and steps you took to debug the
problem?
I very much appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks!

Regards,
Jennifer