[R] ANCOVA with random factor

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Mon Mar 20 18:10:02 CET 2006

	  I don't understand:  I just ran the first example in the "aov" help
page, and it produced F ratios and p values.

	  If this does not answer your question, I suggest you read Pinheiro
and Bates (2000) Mixed-Effects Models in S and S-Plus (Springer) if you
haven't already and try to use lme for what you want.  If all your
applications are perfectly balanced, then aov may be fine for you.
However, the function "aov" codified routine practice for this kind of
problem as of ~1980.  However, there have been substantive developments
in this area since then, and Pinheiro and Bates is the best reference I
know on both the theory and the application -- as of 2000.

	  hope this helps.
	  spencer graves