[R] R2 in mixed model

Jean G. Orelien jorelien at scimetrika.com
Mon Mar 20 16:11:02 CET 2006

You can also refer to the following papers which have proposed Rsquares for
the linear mixed model:

Vonesh, E. F., Chinchilli, V. P., and Pu, K. W. (1996), "Goodness-of-fit in
generalized nonlinear mixed-effects models," Biometrics, 52, 572-587.

Zheng, B. Y. (2000), "Summarizing the goodness of fit of generalized linear
models for longitudinal data," Statistics in Medicine, 19, 1265-1275.

Xu, R. H. (2003), "Measuring explained variation in linear mixed effects
models," Statistics in Medicine, 22, 3527-3541.

Also:

Vonesh, E. F. and Chinchilli, V. M. (1997), Linear and nonlinear models for
the analysis of repeated measurements, Marcel Dekker. (pages 419-427)

Sadly, I have found based on simulations that these pseudo-Rsquares don't
work very well.  I will be presenting a paper at JSM in August where I'm
proposing a new statistic for linear mixed models where you have conditional
independence.  The manuscript has not gone through the peer-review process
yet.

Jean G. Orelien