[R] does lme repeated measures require sphericity?

John Christie jc at or.psychology.dal.ca
Mon Mar 20 13:53:48 CET 2006

I haven't been able to find an answer on this that's direct, only
implied.  In several places I have read that when people asked for
sphericity tests they were guided toward lme or mlm models.  But,
there is no direct indication that the lme method is not subject to
the sphericity assumption.  In fact, it seems like it should be.  Its
just a linear model that handles random and fixed effects.  I imagine
most other parametric assumptions hold true.