[R] Binning question (binning rows of a data.frame according to a variable)

Dan Bolser dmb at mrc-dunn.cam.ac.uk
Sun Mar 19 19:58:15 CET 2006

Adaikalavan Ramasamy wrote:
> Do you by any chance want to sample from each group equally to get an
> equal representation matrix ?

No.

I want to make groups of equal sizes, where size isn't simply number of
rows (allowing a simple 'gl'), but a sum of the variable.

Thanks for the code though, it looks useful.

Here is an analogy for what I want to do (in case it helps).

A group of students have some bags of marbles - The marbles have
different colours. Each student has one bag, but can have between 5 and
50 marbles per bag with any given strange distribution you like. I line
the students up by age, and want to see if there is any systematic
difference between the number of each color of marble by age (older
students may find primary colours less 'cool').

Because the statistics of each individual student are bad (like the
proportion of each color per student -- has a high variance) I first put
all the students into 8 groups (for example).

Thing is, for one reason or another, the number of marbles per bag may
systematically vary with age too. However, I am not interested in the
number of marbles per bag, so I would like to group the students into 8
groups such that each group has the same total number of marbles. (Each
group having a different sized age range, none the less ordered by age).

Then I can look at the proportion (or count) of colours in each group,
and I can compare the groups or any trend accross the groups.

Does that make sense?

Cheers,
Dan.