[R] legend in bubble plots made with symbols()

Denis Chabot chabotd at globetrotter.net
Sat Mar 18 21:30:40 CET 2006

Hi,

I have read about the use of symbols() to draw circles of different
sizes, but I have not been able to find out how to add a legend to
such a graph, legend that would display some specific sizes and their
meaning.

Before finding the symbols function in Paul Murrell's book, I had
rolled by own function where the variable I want to use to control
circle size was actually used to control cex. I was able to draw a
legend afterward. Symbols seems a bit simpler and I wanted to see if
it would be better than my own function. But without legend it is
less useful. However I'm sure there is a way which I'm not aware of
to draw a legend for a plot drawn with symbols()...

Thanks in advance,

Denis Chabot