[R] How to compare fit of linear and nonlinear models

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat Mar 18 05:01:19 CET 2006

	  Your first model "y~x" is a special case of "y~a*x^n", so it should
the comparison of those models should be straightforward:  Does the
confidence inteval for "n" include 1?

	  It is not so easy to compare the second model with either the first
or the third.  While model 1 is a special case of model 3, we can't get
either as a special case of model 2 nor vice versa.  For ideas about how
to approach this comparison, see my earlier post on a related question
(http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02a/archive/35450.html).  If it's
sufficiently important, it should not be too dificult to Monte Carlo
various ways of possibly deciding between the models.

	  hope this helps.
	  spencer graves