[R] parameter constraints in sem

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Fri Mar 17 06:49:35 CET 2006

Dear James,

I've been away and reading email at intervals, and also not following
the r-help list during my trip. I've taken the liberty of copying this
response to the r-help list along with your original posting. My
apologies for the delay.

The short answer to your question is "no," I'm afraid. sem()
distinguishes between fixed and free parameters by the fact that the
latter have names and the former don't. As well, it permits equality
constraints between parameters (by giving two or more the same name)
but doesn't accommodate more complex constraints.

I'll take your question as a suggestion for incorporating more general
parameter constraints and, when I have a chance, think about how that
might be implemented within the current general structure of the
program. I can't promise that I'll be able to get to this soon,
however.

If you're interested in tackling the problem yourself, I'd be happy to
incorporate your work.

Regards,
 John

John Fox