[R] map question

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Mar 15 19:17:04 CET 2006

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Dean Sonneborn wrote:

> Would anyone with experience with the map functions know how to divide
> Czechoslovakia into the Czech Republic and Slovakia. They have been two
> separate countries for some time now. I'm thinking about the worldhires
> map database  in particular.

There are several borders in that database that are missing, although the
country polygons are useful for people mapping cold-war data! I think most
users tend to need the coastlines more than country polygons, so the data
sets are very useful anyway.

Adding borders can be done manually by adding the longitude,latitude
coordinates to the input data shipped with the source package, then
rebuild the database.

If you don't need a large area, but a smaller set of country borders,
there has been a discussion recently on the R-sig-geo list about this, and
I'd suggest your following up there:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2006-March/thread.html

at "Adding some data as colors to world map"

--
Roger Bivand
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no