[R] Interpolate univariate data on regular 3D grid to new 3D grid

Gregory Jefferis gsxej2 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Mar 14 19:13:31 CET 2006

Dear R Users,

I have some data that is very similar in form to a 3D image - ie univariate
data on a regular 3D grid.  I keep this as a 3D numeric array in R with
attributes describing the sampling points along the 3 dimensions.

I would like to interpolate this onto a new regular 3D grid that I specify
(eg by supplying 3 vectors corresponding to the new grid locations on each
of the 3 dimensions).  Interpolation methods would ideally include nearest
neighbour and linear.

The arrays can be large (> 1e7 points) so I would like this to be efficient.
I can find lots of 1d or 2d interpolation methods but no 3d ones and
anything that I write will probably take me a while to optimise.

Many thanks for any suggestions,

Greg Jefferis.
--
Gregory Jefferis, PhD                                   and:
Research Fellow

Lab Tel: +44 (0)1223 336683                     Office: +44 (0)1223 339899
Lab Fax: +44 (0)1223 336676

http://www.zoo.cam.ac.uk/zoostaff/jefferis.html           gsxej2 at cam.ac.uk