[R] problem with optim: (list) object cannot be coerced to 'double'

Zebouni, Stephane (Exchange) SZebouni at bear.com
Tue Mar 14 15:41:50 CET 2006

Hi,

I am trying to use optim to solve a heavy calibration problem. I supply
the parameters in vector form. But before entering my target

The call is simply:

optim(par = parameters, fn = SumLSQ, method = "Nelder-Mead")

the function SumLSQ is simply:

SumLSQ<-function(parameters, data = timeseries){

print("sumLSQ")

      nbseries = dim(timeseries)[2]/3

      SumLSQ = 0

      for (i in (1:nbseries)){

            SumLSQ = SumLSQ +
LSQ(parameters,timeseries[,((i-1)*3+1):(i*3)])

      }

}

I actually never enter the objective function SumLSQ. I always receive
the error:

(list) object cannot be coerced to 'double'

And I really don't know where it comes from. II thought it was the
format of "par" argument but I think it is correct to supply a numerical
vector  ...

Thnaks a lot for any help!

Stephane