[R] To improve my understanding of workspaces

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Mar 10 20:20:09 CET 2006

On 3/10/2006 1:53 PM, Kevin E. Thorpe wrote:
> Sean Davis wrote:
>>
>> On 3/10/06 8:33 AM, "Duncan Murdoch" <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca> wrote:
>>

>>>Other than Emacs, I use the same work habits as Adai.  An advantage of
>>>this workflow is that almost everything is stored in text format, so it
>>>is easy to compare different versions to see what has changed, and it
>>>works very well with version control (I use Subversion).
>>>
>>>The only thing I'd add to his recommendation is that you be sure to save
>>>the scripts that produced the objects in the binary images (his
>>>"lala.rda"), so that they can be reconstructed if necessary.  As long as
>>>the reconstruction isn't too difficult, this means I don't need to
>>>bother to save them in Subversion.
>
> Version control sounds like a good idea Duncan, but I've always been a
> bit intimidated by it.  How cumbersome is Subversion and what are the
> advantages of version control?

It needn't be very cumbersome after you've set it up, but the setup
would be a bit daunting if you haven't used it before.  If you can find
someone who has used it before to do the setup for you, you'll find it a
lot less intimidating.  I'd be happy to do this for you if you come to
London for the SSC meeting in May.  (This offer doesn't just apply to
Kevin, but he's more likely to come to that meeting than most of the
readers of this list.  If anyone else is interested, drop me a line
privately.  And remember that's London, Canada, not the other one.)

If you're working in Windows, use the TortoiseSVN front-end as well as
the command line tools.  I started with the command line tools but use
TSVN most of the time now.

I also recommend reading the O'Reilly book, Version Control with
Subversion.  It's available online at http://svnbook.red-bean.com/.

Duncan Murdoch