[R] count pixels of same color in pixmap object?

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Fri Mar 10 08:55:17 CET 2006

Another solution is to use external tools. It really depends on what you
have to do: if it is to count pixels of one, or a few gray levels, it
could be fine to do it in R,... but if you want to count *all* pixels,
this could be more efficient using a C program, especially if you work
with 16bit images! You can find something in ImageMagick or in Netpbm.
Here is a solution using "pgmhist" from Netpbm
(http://netpbm.sourceforge.net/). This implies that you first converted
your image in PGM format (the Netpbm library provides all tools required
for that conversion).
Here is the R code, assuming "pgmhist" or "pgmhist.exe" (Windows) is
installed and accessible from the path:

# Get statistics about pixel in graylevel pgm images
pixelStats <- function(imagePgm, pgmhist =
     if (.Platform$OS.type == "windows") "pgmhist.exe" else "pgmhist") {
     # Get pixel count for each gray level
     pix <- system(paste(pgmhist, imagePgm),
         intern = TRUE, invisible = TRUE)
     if (pix[1] != "value\tcount\tb%\tw%")
         stop("Error when running 'pgmhist' on the image ",
             imagePgm, "\n\n", pix)
     pix <- pix[-(1:2)]
     getPixCount <- function(str)
         as.numeric(strsplit(str, "\t")[[1]][1:2])
     pix2 <- t(sapply(pix, getPixCount, USE.NAMES = FALSE))
     colnames(pix2) <- c("pixel.value", "count")
     return(pix2)
}

pixelStats("myimage.pgm")

Depending on the treatment you have to do, it is sometimes better to
delegate it to specialized programs (ImageMagick, Netpbm, ImageJ, etc.)
instead of using pixmap. The best is to try both and to determine which
solution is faster for your particular application. I am working with
very large images (hundreds of megabytes) for the ZooImage application
(http://www.sciviews.org/zooimage), and I delegate 100% of the work done
on these images to external programs, because R is not designed to
handle them efficiently.
Best,

Philippe Grosjean