[R] Date and Times a la Dalgaard

Farrel Buchinsky farrel.buchinsky at verizon.net
Fri Mar 10 04:38:51 CET 2006

Does anyone know of a resource for learning the basics of how to manage and
manipulate dates and times in R? I have been reading "Introductory
Statistics with R" by Peter Dalgaard which is fantastic. But alas, I could
find no reference to date and time. I have looked at the reference manual
but it is particularly unapproachable. So rather than dense technical talk I
would rather see a dataset, several arguments and commentary of what is
happening. The alternative to is to make Excel or Microsoft Access handle
all the date and time work (I have had about 16 years experience with how to
calculate and handle date and time in those programs) and then use RODBC to
read it.