[R] POSIX time zone codes

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 9 12:18:56 CET 2006

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006, Jason Horn wrote:

> Thank you again Gabor, that did the trick.  Any thoughts on where I
> go go for a reference for these time codes?  Where did you get
> "CDT6CST" from?  Or is this just one of those things that is "common
> knowledge" in UNIX circles.
>
> To the R developers:  I recommend a sentence be added to the manual
> for as.POSIXxx such as "vales for tz are system dependent, examples
> for common systems are....."

You mean repeating what is already there:

       tz: A timezone specification to be used for the conversion, _if
           one is required_.  System-specific, but '""' is the current
           timezone, and '"GMT"' is UTC (Coordinated Universal Time, in
           French).

?  What are `common systems'?

If you have access to such a set of systems and can provide a
comprehensive set of (tested) examples please provide a patch.  The POSIX
specification is at

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/basedefs/xbd_chap08.html

under TZ.

You are expecting R to give you information about your OS, and that's
an unreasonable expectation.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk