[R] RODBC fail install

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 7 11:16:16 CET 2006

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006, R Gott wrote:

> I'm a newcomer - obvioulsly I fear.  Tried to install RODBC from CRAN
> mirror onto mahcine 64bit running suse10.

Well, we need to know more than that: see the posting guide for how to
report your platform.  It may matter which 64-bit platform.

> terminal log below - it failed on "ODBC headers sql.h and sqlext.h not
> found"
>
> di i need anothe rpackage??

Yes, see the package's README which is intended to be .... read.  It says

   An ODBC driver manager needs to be installed, as well as an ODBC
   driver for each database to be used.  Testing is done using unixODBC
   (http://www.unixODBC.org), but iOBDC (http://www.iODBC.org) has also
   been used.  The RODBC package is installed in the standard way (R CMD
   INSTALL RODBC) and needs the ODBC driver manager header files and
   library (-lodbc or -lodbc32 or -liodbc) to be available.  Use the
   configure options --with-odbc-include and --with-odbc-lib or
   environment variables ODBC_INCLUDE and ODBC_LIBS to set the include
   and library paths as needed.

There are some known problems with RODBC/unixODBC on 64-bit Debian, but
they should not affect SuSE as far as I know.  (unixODBC can be compiled
in two separate ways, and one uses features from ODBC 3.52 whilst only
declaring itself to use 3.51.  But the default as used by FC3/4 does not.
A workaround is under testing.)