[R] Installing Damn Small Linux and R

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 7 08:36:45 CET 2006

We have just increased (for R 2.3.0) the minimum memory requirement for R
under Windows from 16 to 32Mb.  I do still have a sub-notebook running
Windows 98 with 64Mb RAM (and a 6Gb disc) that I fire up from time to time
to check these things, and it can do a lot in that memory size.

The vast majority of the CRAN package tests for R run in less than 64Mb on
a 32-bit Linux system, although a few need much more.  (A couple need over
1Gb on a 64-bit system.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk