[R] Remove "gray grid" from levelplot

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 7 08:09:49 CET 2006

The png and jpeg devices were in fact first written on Windows.  My
understanding is that the intention is to record on a bitmap what would be
rendered on screen, and to regard that as data.

>From the followup, I understand the question was about anti-aliasing in
the viewer.  The philosophy is that this is indeed an issue for the
viewer, and best left to that stage.  (You can make the same comment about
sharpening in JPEG.)

The default background *is* opaque, BTW.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk