[R] glm binomial with zero proportions

Gregor Gorjanc gregor.gorjanc at bfro.uni-lj.si
Fri Mar 3 09:32:22 CET 2006

Hello!

>> Hello.  I must fit a logistic regression to data in the form of
>> proportions, but in which some of the proportions are zero.  I therefore
>> cannot use the glm function with a binomial link since the link function
>> is not defined for p=0 or 1.
>
> It is a logistic link, not a 'binomial link'.  The fitted proportions
> cannot be zero (just 2*10^-16 which is exceedingly rare), but the observed
> ones can.  MASS4 p.190 has an example with observed proportion zero.

Yes, MASS4 p. 190 has example with 0 observed, but that is not a problem
if you use a regression for dose. What can one do in case you have a
level of a factor that has observed zero proportion or very low/high
proportion?

--
Lep pozdrav / With regards,
    Gregor Gorjanc

University of Ljubljana     PhD student
Biotechnical Faculty
Zootechnical Department     URI: http://www.bfro.uni-lj.si/MR/ggorjan
Groblje 3                   mail: gregor.gorjanc <at> bfro.uni-lj.si

SI-1230 Domzale             tel: +386 (0)1 72 17 861
Slovenia, Europe            fax: +386 (0)1 72 17 888