[R] Weighted networks and multigraphs

Gabor Csardi csardi at rmki.kfki.hu
Wed Mar 1 11:50:04 CET 2006

Dear Andrew,

we've created a package called igraph, but the current version does not
really support weighted graphs, so it's not much good for you.
It can do weighted minimum spanning tree, but this is probably all.
Also it can't handle multigraphs.

I'm writing this email because if you end up writing these routines for
yourself, you might consider to extend igraph. igraph contains many routines
for non-weighted graphs and might be easier for you to use these as a
baseline. Most routined are written in C because we need speed for very
large graphss but you can also add your extensions in R if you like.
Just an option. Also, we will add routines for weigthed graphs, but
currently this is not the current direction of the development, so it might
take a few months. (Although the direction changes quite often.....)
Multigraph support is not planned and very unlikely to be added.

See http://cran.at.r-project.org/src/contrib/Descriptions/igraph.html and
http://cneurocvs.rmki.kfki.hu/igraph

FYI,
Gabor