[R] Multiple lag.plots per page

Gad Abraham g.abraham at ms.unimelb.edu.au
Wed Jun 14 06:33:12 CEST 2006

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, Gad Abraham wrote:
>> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>>> lag.plot itself calls par(mfrow).  The trick is to get one call to do
>>> the plots you want:
>>> lag.plot(cbind(a,b))
>> Thanks, that works great for multiple lag.plots. Is it possible to
>> have a lag.plot and another type of plot on the same page? The second
>> plot() always replaces the lag.plot for me.
> Yes, if the other plot is second, e.g
> par(mfrow=c(2,1))
> a<-sin(1:100)
> lag.plot(a)
> par(mfg=c(2,1)) # move to second plot
> plot(1:10)

Following from my previous questions, lag.plot doesn't recognise some of
the standard plot variables, e.g. xaxt="n" doesn't remove the x-axis,
and setting xlab causes an error:

 > lag.plot(sin(1:100), xlab="foo")
Error in plotts(x = x, y = y, plot.type = plot.type, xy.labels =
xy.labels,  :
         formal argument "xlab" matched by multiple actual arguments

Is this a bug or a feature?

Also, how can I make lag.plot behave nicely when plotted with other
plots on the same page? it takes up more room than it's allocated by

Thanks for your help,

Gad Abraham
University of Melbourne
Victoria 3010, Australia