[R] Great R documentation

John Kane jrkrideau at yahoo.ca
Mon Jul 31 16:22:54 CEST 2006

--- hadley wickham <h.wickham at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm trying to improve the documentation I provide my

I am a new user and at moment I am finding "An
Introduction to S and the Hmisc and Design Libraries”
by Carlos Alzola and Frank E. Harrell is very helpful
as it explains some "simple" data manipulations that
other documentation seems to assume one will know.

My opinion is that much of the documentation is very
good but very terse and at least in the help files
sometimes a bit too clever.   There seldom seems to be
enough  explaination as to why something does
something which has often left me able to do exactly
what I want to do but having a difficult time
generalizing.

Of course, if I could track down whoever at my local
university has taken out all the R books I might be
much better off. :)