[R] HTTP User-Agent header

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jul 28 16:43:34 CEST 2006

What OS is this?

If Windows, see the rw-FAQ Q2.19.

Otherwise, see ?download.file and choose a different download method,
or look at the source code (src/modules/internet/nanohttp.c) and submit a
patch.

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006, James P. Howard, II wrote:

> I am using R in an environment where the HTTP proxy server blocks
> browsers that do not send User-Agent strings.

Given how incredibly easy they are to fake, why?

> Through some testing, we have determined that R, by default (2.3.1) does
> not send a string when performing the chooseCRANmirror() function.  Is
> there a setting

BTW, the chooseCRANmirror() function does not do HTTP: download.file() and
url() do and the help is at ?download.file.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk