[R] RODBC on linux

Jeffrey Horner jeff.horner at vanderbilt.edu
Thu Jul 27 16:53:52 CEST 2006

Armstrong, Whit wrote:
> Thanks, everyone.
>
> I'll give freeTDS a try.

One final hitch to be aware of when using FreeTDS:

MS SQL Server authenticates db connections in two different ways (well
actually three, but it's just the combination of 1 and 2):

1) Sql server authenticates the connection, meaning you must have
    an SQL server account. FreeTDS will handle this fine.
2) the SQL server OS authenticates the connection with an NT Domain
    login. That's the domain\username you use to login to your Windows
    machine. FreeTDS will ONLY handle this over TCP/IP, not over DCE/RPC,
    so be aware.

More info here:

http://www.freetds.org/userguide/domains.htm

and here: