[R] (robust) mixed-effects model with covariate

Giuseppe Pagnoni gpagnon at emory.edu
Wed Jul 26 20:23:26 CEST 2006

Dear Thilo,

many thanks for your reply.  I realized that there was an error in my
formula which should have been:

aov(y ~ Group * (Time + Age) + Error (Subj/Time), data=df1)

or alternatively:

lme(RVP.A ~ Group*(Time+Age), random = ~ 1|Subj/Time,data=df1)

but I get different results in each case, and different still from the
results of another stat program (JMP).
The problem is that I am not sure which one (if one indeed is) correct!

Also, in the model you proposed:

lme(y~Group*Time, random ~ age | Subj, data = df1)

it appears that age is not between the effects of interests, so I do not
get an estimate of the significance of the Age or the Age*Group effect.

I have Pinheiro & Bates, and I read the first chapter but it didn't seem
to provide an example analogous to my case.  Also, it looks like it
would take me some months to study the book thoroughly and frankly that
seems a bit excessive for such a (apparently?) simple problem....  I was
hoping somebody would magically provide the correct syntax :-)  !

thanks again anyway for your help

best regards

   giuseppe

--