[R] Sweave and tth

Kuhn, Max Max.Kuhn at pfizer.com
Wed Jul 26 13:53:40 CEST 2006

Dr. Harrell,

> I tried odfWeave to create an OpenOffice file and found that it
> exhausted the memory of my large linux machine and took a long time to

> run.

Do you have any details about the problem that you encountered? A bug
that someone else had pointed out might be the culprit. I have the
default image format as png, but since a lot of linux systems don't have
that device automatically available to them, I have a switch for the
device in odfWeaveControl:

 plotDevice = ifelse(.Platform$OS.type == "windows", "png", "bitmap"),

The bitmap device units are in inches and the bmp device is in pixels.
The bug is the default image size if 480 inches (whoops).

Can you try using:

  odfWeaveControl(
   plotHeight = 5,
   plotWidth = 5,
   dispHeight = 5,
   dispWidth = 5)

in your odfWeave call and let me know if this was the issue? I was able
to reproduce the error on our linux systems and this fix worked (strange
that the package passes R CMD check though).

If this works, Section 7 of the odfWeave manual lists two command line
tools (not included in my package) that can do the conversion from odt
to Word (or other formats)

> I really appreciate Max Kuhn's efforts with odfWeave and hope to keep
up
> with its development.

No problem. I'll be releasing a bug fix version to solve the device
units issue. Also, others have reported problems with locales. I believe
I have a fix for this issue too.

> Thanks.
> --
> Frank E Harrell Jr   Professor and Chair           School of Medicine
>                       Department of Biostatistics   Vanderbilt
University

Max