[R] (robust) mixed-effects model with covariate

Giuseppe Pagnoni gpagnon at emory.edu
Mon Jul 24 20:16:58 CEST 2006

Dear all,

First of all I apologize if you received this twice: I was checking the
archive and I noticed that the text was scrubbed from the message,
probably due to some setting in my e-mail program.

I am unsure about how to specify a model in R and I thought of asking
some advice to the list. I have two groups ("Group"= A, B) of subjects,
with each subject undertaking a test before and after a certain
treatment ("Time"= pre, post). Additionally, I want to enter
the age of the subject as a covariate (the performance on the test is
affected by age), and I also want to allow different slopes for the
effect of age in the two groups of subjects (age might affect the
performance of the two groups differentially).

Is the right model to use something like the following?

aov (y ~ Group*Time + Group*Age + Error(Subj/Group), data=df1 )

(If I enter that command, within summary, I get the following:
Error() model is singular in: aov(y ~ Group * Time + Group * Age +
Error(Subj/Group), data = df1))

As a second question: I have an outlier in one of the two groups. The
outlier is not due to a measurement error but simply to the performance
of the subject (possibly related to his medical history, but I have no
way to determine that with certainty). This subject is
signaled to be an outlier within its group: averaging the pre and post
values for the performance of the subjects in his group, the Grubbs test
yields a probability of 0.002 for the subject to be an outlier (the
subject is marked as a significant outlier also if I
perform the test separately on the pre and the post data).

If I remove this subject from its group, I get significant effects of
Group and Group X Age (not using the R formula above, but another stat
software), but if I leave the subject in those effects disappear. Since
I understand that removing outliers is always worrysome, I would like to
know if it is possible in R to estimate a model similar to that outlined
above but in a resistant/robust fashion, and what would be the actual
syntax to do that. I will very much appreciate any help or suggestion
about this.

thanks in advance and best regards

giuseppe

--