[R] unique, but keep LAST occurence

davidr at rhotrading.com davidr at rhotrading.com
Mon Jul 24 19:00:02 CEST 2006

?unique says

Value:

     An object of the same type of 'x'. but if an element is equal to
     one with a smaller index, it is removed.

However, I need to keep the one with the LARGEST index.
Can someone please show me the light?
I thought about reversing the row order twice, but I couldn't get it to work right

(My data frame has 125000 rows and 7 columns,
and I'm 'uniqueing' on column #1 (chron) only, although the class of the column may not matter.)

Say, e.g.,
> DF <- data.frame(t = c(1,2,3,1,4,5,1,2,3), x = c(0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8))

I would like the result to be (sorted as well)
 t x
 1 6
 2 7
 3 8
 4 4
 5 5

If I got the original rownames, that would be a bonus (for debugging.)

> R.version
               _
platform       i386-pc-mingw32
arch           i386
os             mingw32
system         i386, mingw32
status
major          2
minor          3.1
year           2006
month          06
day            01
svn rev        38247
language       R
version.string Version 2.3.1 (2006-06-01)

Thanks for any hints!
David

David L. Reiner
Rho Trading Securities, LLC