[R] fracdiff

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat Jul 22 21:40:08 CEST 2006

	  Confidence intervals for the fracdiff parameter estimates shouldn't
be too difficult:  the ?fracdiff help file says it returns a list with
components including 'd', 'ar' 'ma', and 'stderror.dpq'.  From these one
should easily get the coeffecients, standard errors and naive, Wald
confidence intervals;  for your convenience, I've embedded these in the
functions 'coef.fracdiff' and 'confint.fracdiff' given below.

	  By 'sigma2', I assume you mean the estimated variance of the whitened
residuals.  That is not so obvious.  For that, I might try
'arima(fitdiff(...))$sigma2', operating on a 'fracdiff' fit.

	  Hope this helps.
	  Spencer Graves
##### coef and confint functions for output of fracdiff:
coef.fracdiff <- function(object){
   unlist(object[c("d", "ar", "ma")])
}

confint.fracdiff <- function(object, parm, level=0.95, ...){
   b <- coef.fracdiff(object)
   se <- object$stderror.dpq
   names(se) <- names(b)
#
   if(missing(parm))
     parm <- 1:length(b)
   b. <- b[parm]
   se. <- se[parm]
#
   conf.c <- (1-level)/2
   conf2 <- c(conf.c, 1-conf.c)
   confNames <- paste(100*conf2, "%")
   k. <- length(b.)
   CI <- b+outer(se., qnorm(conf2))
   dimnames(CI)[[2]] <- confNames
   CI
}

Melissa Ann Haltuch wrote:
> Hi, I'm using the function fracdiff and can not
figure out how to get the estimated values for
sigma2 or confidence intervals for the parameter
estimates. Does anyone know how to obtain these
values?