[R] Random structure of nested design in lme

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat Jul 22 20:03:46 CEST 2006

	  Have you considered the following:

	  anova(lme(NA.1~soiltype*habitat,random=~1|destination/origin))

	  This seems more closely to match the 'aov' command in your original
post.  This model might be written in more detail as follows:

	  NA.1[s, h, i,j,k] = b0 + ST[s] + H[h] +
		ST.H[s[i],j[j] j] + d[i] + o[i,j] + e[i,j,k]

where 	  b0 = a constant to be estimated,

	  s = the soil type for that particular sample,

	  h = the habitat for that sample,

	  ST = soil type coefficients to be estimated subject to a constraint
that they sum to 0,

	  H = habitat coefficients to be estimated subject to the constraint
that they sum to 0,

	  ST.H = soil type by habitat interaction coefficients to be estimated
subject to constraints that ST.H[s,.] sum to 0 and ST.H[., h] also sum
to 0,

	  d[i] = a random deviation associated with each destination, assuming
the d's are all normal, independent, with mean 0 and unknown but
constant variance s2.d

	  o[i, j] = a random deviation associated with each destination /
origin combination, assuming the o's are all normal, independent, with
mean 0 and unknown variance s2.o,

and 	  e[i,j,j] = the standard unknown noise term, normal, independent
with mean 0 and unknown variance s2.e.

	  The model you wrote includes nested noise terms for soil type and
habitat as well.  These terms are not estimable, which makes the answers
garbage, but the 'lme' function does not check for replicates and
therefore sometimes gives garbage answers without warning.

	  To get more information from the fit, I suggest you first try
'methods(class="lme")', and review help pages associated with what you
see listed there.

	  Have you looked at Pinheiro and Bates (2000) Mixed-Effects Models in
S and S-Plus (Springer)?  This is my all-time favorite reference on
Bates has been one of the leading original contributors in variance
components analysis and nonlinear estimation more generally for over 25
years.  The 'nlme' package is the product of his work and the work of
many of his graduate students prior to 2000.  The book, at least from my
perspective, is very well written.  Moreover, the standard R
distribution includes files named "ch01.R", "ch02.R", ..., "ch06.R",
"ch08.R" with the R scripts accompanying each chapter in the book in
"~\library\nlme\scripts" under the R installation directory on your hard
drive, e.g. "D:\Program files\R\R-2.3.1\library\nlme\scripts", on my
computer.  There are minor changes in the syntax in a few places between
the book and the current R implementation that make it impossible to get
some of the published answers.  Using these script files increases the
likelihood that you will get essentially the book's answers and won't be
defeated by subtle typographical errors or by the difference between x^2
and I(x^2), for example.

	  If you would like further information from this listserver, please
submit another post, preferably including a "commented, minimal,
self-contained, reproducible code", as suggested in the posting guide
"www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html".

	  Hope this helps.
	  Spencer Graves