[R] Timing benefits of mapply() vs. for loop was: Wrap a loop inside a function

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 14:56:20 CEST 2006

Note that if you use mapply in the way I suggested, which is not
the same as in your post, then its just as fast.  (Also the version
of mapply in your post gives different numerical results than
the for loop whereas mine gives the same.)   like.mat is the for
loop version, like.mat2 is your mapply version and like.mat3
is my mapply version.

> like.mat <- function(score, items, theta){
+   like.mat <- matrix(numeric(length(items) * length(theta)), ncol =
+     length(theta))
+   for(i in 1:length(items)) like.mat[i, ] <- pcm(theta, items[[i]],
score[[i]])
+   like.mat
+ }
> system.time(for(i in 1:100) like.mat(score,items,theta))
[1] 1.30 0.00 1.34   NA   NA

> like.mat2 <- function(score, items, theta)
+   matrix(mapply(pcm, rep(theta,length(items)), items, score),
+     ncol = length(theta), byrow = TRUE)
> system.time(for(i in 1:100) like.mat2(score,items,theta))
[1] 5.70 0.00 5.91   NA   NA
> all.equal(like.mat(score, items, theta), like.mat2(score, items, theta))
[1] "Mean relative  difference: 1.268095"

> like.mat3 <- function(score, items, theta)
+ t(mapply(pcm, items, score, MoreArgs = list(theta = theta)))
> system.time(for(i in 1:100) like.mat3(score,items,theta))
[1] 1.32 0.01 1.39   NA   NA
> m3 <- like.mat3(score, items, theta)
> dimnames(m3) <- NULL
> all.equal(like.mat(score, items, theta), m3)
[1] TRUE