[R] Question about functions in R

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Jul 20 13:00:11 CEST 2006

"Ivan Kalafatic" <ivan.kalafatic at gmail.com> writes:

> I tried to make the following function:
>
> function(x, y){
>    dates<-intersect(x[,1],y[,1])
>    m<-matrix(NA,length(dates),3)
>    m[,1]<-dates
>    j<-1
>    k<-1
>    for(i in fdax[,1]){
>       if(is.element(i,dates)){
>          m[j,3]<-as.numeric(fdax[k,2])
>          j<-j+1
>       }
>       k<-k+1
>    }
>    return(m)
> }
>
> When I try to import it into R with edit( file="name.txt",
> editor="someeditor") I get the response that there is an error on the
> line where last bracket is.
> When I execute this code manualy in R command by command everything works ok.
> This happened to me before with other functions. Sometimes I can
> import them and they work perfectly but sometimes I get the error on
> the last line of code which is alvays the final bracket.
>
> Anyone has any idea why this is happening?

It's not happening for me with

> edit( file="tmp/xxx.R", editor="emacs")
function(x, y){
   dates<-intersect(x[,1],y[,1])
   m<-matrix(NA,length(dates),3)
   m[,1]<-dates
   j<-1
   k<-1
   for(i in fdax[,1]){
      if(is.element(i,dates)){
         m[j,3]<-as.numeric(fdax[k,2])
         j<-j+1
      }
      k<-k+1
   }
   return(m)
}

(after copying your function into tmp/xxx.R of course).

So there is something you're not telling us... (could there be an
incomplete last line, by any chance?)