[R] Reconfiguring wide frame to long frame

Jesse Albert Canchola jesse.canchola.b at bayer.com
Tue Jul 18 20:01:08 CEST 2006

Many thanks, Gabor.  That worked great!  I'm ecstatic.

Best regards,
Jesse

"Gabor Grothendieck" <ggrothendieck at gmail.com>
07/18/2006 10:12 AM

"Jesse Albert Canchola" <jesse.canchola.b at bayer.com>
cc
r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
Subject
Re: [R] Reconfiguring wide frame to long frame

Try this:

# set up test data
Lines <- "ID  meas  ID.1   meas.1
1   1.1        3      1.2
2   2.1        4      2.2
"
DF <- read.table(textConnection(Lines), header = TRUE)

# reshape
matrix(t(DF), nc = 2, byrow = TRUE, dimnames = list(NULL,
colnames(DF)[1:2]))

On 7/18/06, Jesse Albert Canchola <jesse.canchola.b at bayer.com> wrote:
> Greetings, fellow R'ers.
>
> How can I get this frame in R:
>
> ID  meas  ID.1   meas.1
> 1   1.1        3      1.2
> 2   2.1        4      2.2
>
> to look like this (stacking):
>
> ID meas
> 1  1.1
> 2  2.1
> 3  1.2
> 4  2.2
>
> It's not really the reshape function (or is it?) because we can consider
> the additional columns, viz., ID.1 and meas.1, as independent of ID and
> meas so it is basically a stacking problem (no longitudinal component).
> can't seem to find a good example to do this in the docs.  Thanks for
your
> help.
>
> Regards,
> Jesse
>

> Jesse A. Canchola
> Biostatistician III
> Bayer Healthcare
> 725 Potter St.
> Berkeley, CA 94710
> P: 510.705.5855
> F: 510.705.5718
> E: Jesse.Canchola.b at Bayer.Com

> The information contained in this e-mail is for the exclusive use of the
intended recipient(s) and may be confidential, proprietary, and/or legally
privileged.  Inadvertent disclosure of this message does not constitute a
waiver of any privilege.  If you receive this message in error, please do
not directly or indirectly use, print, copy, forward, or disclose any part
of this message.  Please also delete this e-mail and all copies and notify
the sender.  Thank you.