[R] FW: Large datasets in R

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jul 18 15:58:34 CEST 2006

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006, Marshall Feldman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have two further comments/questions about large datasets in R.
>
> 1. Does R's ability to handle large datasets depend on the operating
> system's use of virtual memory? In theory, at least, VM should make the
> difference between installed RAM and virtual memory on a hard drive
> primarily a determinant of how fast R will calculate rather than whether or
> not it can do the calculations. However, if R has some low-level routines
> that have to be memory resident and use more memory as the amount of data
> increases, this may not hold. Can someone shed light on this?

The issue is address space, not RAM.  The limits Thomas mentions are on
VM, not RAM, and it is common to have at least as much RAM installed as
the VM address space for a user process.

There is no low-level code in R that has any idea if it is
memory-resident, nor AFAIK is there any portable way to do so in a user
process in a modern OS.  (R is as far as possible written to C99 and POSIX
standards.)

> 2. Is What 64-bit versions of R are available at present?

Any OS with a 64-bit CPU that you can find a viable 64-bit compiler suite
for.  We've had 64-bit versions of R since the last millenium on Solaris,
IRIX, HP-UX, OSF/1 and more recently on AIX, FreeBSD, Linux, MacOS X (on
so-called G5) and probably others.

The exception is probably Windows, for which there is no known free
`viable 64-bit compiler suite', but it is likely that there are commercial
ones.