[R] package installation problems

Demmler J. J.Demmler at swansea.ac.uk
Tue Jul 18 11:14:58 CEST 2006

Hello,

I just updated from R 2.1.1 to R 2.3.1 (I also updated from Fedora 3 to
Fedora 4 if that is of any importance). However, several packages (e.g.
fields etc.) refuse to be installed. I get the following error message:

[root at localhost R-files]# R CMD INSTALL fields_2.3.tar.gz
* Installing *source* package 'fields' ...
** libs
g77   -fpic  -O2 -g -pipe -m32 -march=i386 -mtune=pentium4 -c css.f -o css.o
f771: invalid option `tune=pentium4'
make: *** [css.o] Error 1
ERROR: compilation failed for package 'fields'
** Removing '/usr/lib/R/library/fields'

For some reason -mtune is set to Pentium 4, although I'm using an Athlon-XP.
I searched the files in the fields package for this line but couldn't find
it. Other packages, like f.i. maps didn't have any problems.

I hope anyone can help me, as I need those packages urgently for my PhD
project.

Joanne