[R] optim()

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Tue Jul 18 07:49:01 CEST 2006

	  I had good luck translating constrained into unconstrained problems
and then optimizing the unconstrained problem.  Have you tried something
like the following:

Define:
	  z = c(z1, z2, z3), where p1=1/(1+exp(-z1), etc.  This translates the
constraints on the p's to

	  G(z) = P*(f1(z)-r12*f2(z))^2-f1(z)

where f1(z) = f1(p1(z1), p2(z2), p3(z3), and similarly for f2(z), and
where P = a penalty term,
and r12 = (1-c)*k1/(c*(1-k1).

	  Can f2(z) ever go outside (0, 1)?  If yes, I would modify G(z) by
adding a term like (min(0, f2(z), 1-f2(z))^2)

	  If I haven't made a math error, your problem should translate into
this form.  I first solve this problem for z with P small like 1.  Then
after I've got a solution for that, I increase P to 2, then 10, then
100, etc., until the penalty is so great that the desired equality has
been effectively achieved.

	  With 'P' fixed, 'optim' should handle this kind of problem handily.
To learn how, I suggest you work through the examples in the ?optim help
page.  I'd ignore the gradient, at least initially.  A silly math error
in computing the gradient can delay a solutions unnecessarily.  If you
need to solve thousands of problems like this for  different values of
k1 and 'c', I might later program the gradient.  However, I would not do
that initially.

	  Also, if you are not already familiar with Venables and Ripley (2002)
Modern Applied Statistics with S, 4th ed. (Springer -- or an earlier
edition), I would encourage you to spend some quality time with this
book.  It can help you with 'optim', with contour plots, etc.

	  Hope this helps,
	  Spencer Graves