[R] Large datasets in R

Deepankar Basu basu.15 at osu.edu
Mon Jul 17 21:00:55 CEST 2006

Hi!

I am a student of economics and currently do most of my statistical work
using STATA. For various reasons (not least of which is an aversion for
proprietary software), I am thinking of shifting to R. At the current
juncture my concern is the following: would I be able to work on
relatively large data-sets using R? For instance, I am currently working
on a data-set which is about 350MB in size. Would be possible to work
data-sets of such sizes using R?

I have been trying to read up the posting on the R-archive on this
topic; but I could not really understand all the discussion, nor could I
reach the "end". So, I am not aware of the current state of consensus on
the issue.

It would help a lot if some current user could throw some light on this
issue of large data-sets in R.

Thanks in advance.

Deepankar Basu