[R] information about a function

Holger Flick hflick at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 13:05:37 CEST 2006

Hi people,

I am new in this list and could not find a FAQ for it in particular,
furthermore I could not find my question answered in the official R
FAQ or docs.

I have simply something like this:

> f<-approxfun(data[,1],data[,2])

and f is:

function (v)
.C("R_approx", as.double(x), as.double(y), as.integer(n), xout = as.double(v),
    as.integer(length(v)), as.integer(method), as.double(yleft),
    as.double(yright), as.double(f), NAOK = TRUE, PACKAGE = "base")$xout
<environment: 02106C24>

I also used "locPoly".

Both yield either a function or a data frame of values.

Is there a way to get a mathematical representation of the function,
e.g. a polynomial of any order? Something like
 ax^3+bx^2+cx^1+d or similar if it is of degree 3?

Basically, I want to create functions of measured values.

Thanks in advance for any hints.

--
Holger

--