[R] storing the estimates from lmer

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat Jul 15 19:05:03 CEST 2006

	  The structure of 'lmer' objects and helper functions is outlined in
the 'lmer' and 'lmer-class' help pages.  The latter mentions "'vcov
'signature(object = "mer")': Calculate variance-covariance matrix of the
_fixed_ effect terms, see also 'vcov'."  Thus,
sqrt(diag(vcov(lmer.object))) should give you standard errors of the
fixed effects.

	  The parameter estimates can be obtained using 'VarCorr'.  However,
characterizing their random variability is harder, because their
distribution is not as simply summarized.  The 'lmer-class' help page
says that an 'lmer' object includes a slot, "'Omega': A list of
positive-definite matrices stored as '"dpoMatrix"' objects that are the
relative precision matrices of the random effects associated with each
of the grouping factors."  However, I don't know how to use this.  For
problems like this, the 'lme4' and 'Matrix' packages include a function
'simulate', which is what I might use, at least until I figured out how
to get essentially the same answer from the Omega slot.

	  Hope this helps,
	  Spencer Graves