[R] non positive-definite G matrix in mixed models: bootstrap?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri Jul 14 16:43:53 CEST 2006

	  Have you considered 'simulate.lme'?  I believe that this is what
Bates included in the 'nlme' package for obtaining confidence intervals,
joint confidence regions, etc., when there were questions about the
results for whatever reason.  I have not tried it with a singular model,
but I believe Bates has.  In particular, have you reviewed ch. 2 in
Pinheiro and Bates (2000) Mixed-Effects Models in S and S-Plus (Springer)?

	  I am not a fan of bootstrapping.  In mixed-effects applications,
bootsrapping needs to incorporate the constraints imposed by the
mixed-effects model.  For example, if you have several samples per batch
and several batches per lot, you need to bootstrap lots as well as
batches within lot and samples within batch.

	  The advantage of bootstrapping is that if the normality assumptions
behind the mixed model do not hold, the bootstrap results will still
have some validity.  However, the range of extrapolability of bootstrap
results is limited to other situations whose distribution is plausibly
like the particular sample you bootstrapped, and I wouldn't know how to
evaluate that.  By contrast, I know how to extrapolate simulation
results.  To decide whether such results apply, I make normal
probability plots of the data, random effects, and residuals.  If they
all seem normal, I feel it is reasonable to use the simulation results.

	  Others may offer a different perspective (or a correction, as the
case may be).  However, you asked for comments about bootstrapping mixed
models.  At least you've got one.

	  Hope this helps.
	  Spencer Graves