[R] package:Matrix handling of data with identical indices

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Sun Jul 9 18:06:00 CEST 2006

The apparent contradiction here is again a case of inadequate
documentation and checking.

Because the order of the triplets in the triplet form of a sparse
matrix is essentially random it is permissible to have repeated
indices.  As you have seen, the interpretation of repeated indices is
that the value at any index is the sum of the values in the triplets
corresponding to that index.

 It is not permissible to have repeated indices in the compressed
form.  In the compressed form there is a well-defined ordering of the
indices, first by columns then by row within column and the row
indices must be increasing within columns.

Your matrix Mc should be flagged as invalid.  Martin and I should
discuss whether we want to add such a test to the validity method.  It
is not difficult to add the test but there will be a penalty in that
it will slow down all operations on such matrices and I'm not sure if
we want to pay that price to catch a rather infrequently occuring
problem.

There is some documentation of the internal representations of these
formats in the directory $R_LIB/Matrix/doc/UFSparse/.  The User Guides
in that directory are taken directly from the various sparse matrix
packages that Tim Davis at the University of Florida has written.  He
has a book that is scheduled for publication this  September

Tim Davis (2006), Direct Methods for Sparse Linear Systems, SIAM,
Philadelphia, PA

I hope we will be able to refer to that book for details of the
representation and algorithms.