[R] Hunting for snow...

Brian Lunergan ff809 at ncf.ca
Sun Jul 9 15:34:25 CEST 2006

Uwe Ligges wrote:
> Brian Lunergan wrote:
>> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

>>> PLEASE read the README:
>>>
>>> http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.3/@ReadMe
>>>
>>> and see the check summary at
>>>
>>> http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/checkSummaryWin.html
>>>
>>> snow runs distributed R tasks across hosts: it has three modes and
>>> prefers PVM and MPI if packages rpvm or Rmpi are available (which
>>> they are not for Windows).  As a result only some of its
>>> functionality can be used on Windows, and anyone who is going to get
>>> involved at that level of programming will very easily install the
>>> package from the sources.
>>>
>> Let me see if I understand this correctly. Something in the finance
>> task view would seem to consider snow a dependency; however, the
>> package in question has dragged it along for the ride into Windows,
>> crippling its usefulness.
>>
>> Problem and a question. Having checked the file on the UofT CRAN
>> mirror that lists dependencies for the available files snow only
>> appears attached to three of them, none of which are listed as part
>> the finance view or anything I already have on my system. What is R
>> seeing these as a dependency for then? Perhaps the view maintainers
>> can suggest something? If it is not available for windows and is only
>> partially functional there can it be safely ignored as a dependency?
>>
>> One other puzzle resulting from this. The check summary suggested
>> problems with 'FracSim', 'RDCOMClient', 'VGAM', and 'segmented' as
>> windows packages but yet the versions I found seemed to install
>> without complaint onto my
>
> Where did you find them? At least not in their current versions on the
> official repository on CRAN master for R-2.3.x, I hope.

FracSim_0.2.zip
http://cran.stat.ucla.edu/bin/windows/contrib/2.3/

RDCOMClient_0.91-0.zip
http://www.omegahat.org/R/bin/windows/contrib/R-2.3.0/

segmented_0.1-4.zip
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.1/

VGAM_0.6-9.zip
http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~yee/bin/windows/contrib/2.3/

These are the versions I found and the locations. Other than perhaps
segmented all seem to be positioned as compatible with v2.3.x, but I own
that I could be incorrect in my assessment of the situation.

--
Brian Lunergan
Nepean, Ontario

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0627-3, 2006-07-07
Tested on: 2006-07-09 09:34:29