[R] last 2 questions about save and load

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jul 9 09:37:14 CEST 2006

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006, markleeds at verizon.net wrote:

> i played around and i get the hang of save and load. I just
> have two final questions :
>
> 1) is loading the RandomFields package the only
> way to check if a file ( created through the save function )
> is out there or not ? Because, I generally won't know if one has
> been created yet or not.

Of course not: See ?file.exists and ?file.info.  (RandomFields::FileExists
itself depends on file.exists and has a different purpose.)

> 2) Suppose, you have the case where you
> created and saved a file. When you do an ls()
> without loading that file, it doesn't show up in the list
> obviously. So, if you want to delete that file for whatever
> reason, is it possible ? Thanks.

ls() returns a list of (some) R objects: it has nothing to do with files.
Now save()d files contain images of R objects, but the name of the file
has nothing to do with the names of the object(s) it contains.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk