[R] generate bi-variate normal data

markleeds at verizon.net markleeds at verizon.net
Sat Jul 1 07:27:09 CEST 2006

>From: "Shin, David" <david.shin at pearson.com>
>Date: Sat Jul 01 00:15:21 CDT 2006
>To: "'r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch'" <r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch>
>Subject: [R] generate bi-variate normal data

it's an interesting question. someone else
on this list can answer more explicitly but
i think you have to use the result for the multivariate
normal distribution ( bivariate case ) where , if the
joint is normal , then the conditional is normal also
with parameters a function of the 2 means and the elements of
the covariance matrix. the result in any decent mathematical statistics such as  casella berger. so, given the one column, generate the other column conditionally using the formula  and then the joint dist will be bivariate normal.