[R] Help! What does this R command mean?

Ionut Florescu ifloresc at stevens.edu
Tue Jan 31 22:09:54 CET 2006

a:b means - all the element in the vector from a to b
a[,-1] means for the matrix a keep all the rows but not the last or
first -can't remember column.
When in doubt do what I do make a small matrix and apply the command see
what it does.
After this:
 > a=matrix(c(1:9),3,3)
 > a[,-1]
     [,1] [,2]
[1,]    4    7
[2,]    5    8
[3,]    6    9

you see that -1 eliminates the first column.
I found the R manual useless myself.
The only thing useful is the search function in the html help. That has
examples.

Ionut Florescu