[R] help with read.table() function

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Sun Jan 29 17:51:37 CET 2006

Romain Francois <francoisromain at free.fr> writes:

> Le 29.01.2006 16:26, oliver wee a écrit :
>
> >hello, I have just started using R for doing a project
> >in time series...
> >
> >unfortunately, I am having trouble using the
> >read.table function for use in reading my data set.
> >
> >This is what I'm getting:
> >I inputted:
> >data <-
> >read.table("D:/Oliver/Professional/Studies/Time Series
> >Analysis/spdc2693.data", header = TRUE)
> >
> >I got:
> >Error in file(file, "r") : unable to open connection
> >In addition: Warning message:
> >cannot open file 'D:/Oliver/Professional/Studies/Time
> >Series Analysis/spdc2693.data', reason 'No such file
> >or directory'
> >
> >as I am just a novice programmer, I really would
> >appreciate help from you guys. Is there a need to
> >setpath in R, like in java or something like that...
> >
> >I am using the windows version btw.
> >
> >I have also tried to put the file in the work
> >directory of R, so that I only typed
> >data <- read.table("spdc2693.data", header = TRUE)
> >Again, it won't work, with the same error message.
> >
> >I would appreciate any help. thanks again.
> >

> Hi, try :
>
> read.table(file.choose(), header=TRUE)
>
> and go to your file.
> Also, you can look a ?setwd, ?getwd

Right. Or just file.choose() and see what the OS thinks your file is
really called. The most common causes for symptoms like that are

(A) The file is "spcd2693.data"
(B) There's an extra extension which ever helpful Windows decided to
hide, as in "spdc2693.data.txt".

--
   O__  ---- Peter Dalgaard             Øster Farimagsgade 5, Entr.B